Originally hailing from Southern Africa, Mary Douglas has lived in 4 countries on 2 continents and has garnered a delightful accent in the process.
With almost 20 years under her belt as a school teacher, and about 2 decades in pastoring, she relishes combining the two journeys to lead women into a deeper understanding of their true identity and value. Mary has a passionate enjoyment of the Old Testament, and a growing love affair with Jesus.
She takes every opportunity to share from life’s varied experiences, making her teaching rich and relevant. Mary now finds her home in Central Michigan with her pastor/teacher husband of 43 years, and delights to share about their 4 gorgeous girls, 2 amazing sons-in-law and 5 energetic grandchildren. Rory and Mary co-pastor the Alma Vineyard Church in Alma, Michigan.
Let’s unpack her story a little more…
- Mary was born in Zimbabwe and lived in South Africa, Namibia & presently lives in the USA.
- She has taught everything from kindergarten to 11th grade both in state and private schools.
- She’s madly in love with her best friend and hubby of 43 years – did you know that he proposed 4 days after meeting her?
- They are the wonderfully proud parents of 4 gorgeous girls – they just couldn’t get the recipe right for boys, but it was fun trying!
- If they’d known how much fun grandkids would be, they’d have had them first!
- Mary loves chocolate and is still learning to share.
- It must be her Zimbabwean upbringing, but she loves going barefoot.
- She loves, just loves teaching about God our Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit all the way from Genesis to maps – her hubby’s a geographer.
- Mary loves learning from inspiring men and women of God like Ken Gire, Graham Cooke, Max Lucado, Bill Johnson, John Wimber, Patricia King, Joyce Meyer and on and on.
- The Old Testament is her playground – it’s like a picture book of the New Testament.
- She loves to laugh – it’s like jogging on the inside.